Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

It's ***** ***** im looking after my brothers cat since

Customer Question

Customer: hi it's ***** ***** im looking after my brothers cat since wednesday night... he hasnt been to the toilet since he arrived im a bit worried he's not eating much food
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is quite affectionate,... he was on my lap a while ago... but when i touched the side of his belly by his back leg he lept off my lap
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry you are worried.

Please tell me more about your brothers cat:

How old is he?

Are you saying he has not urinated since Wednesday?

Is there any chance he soiled out of box?

Is he eating at all?

Indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he is 4 years old, havent seen him soil anywhere! not eating at all really.... indoor kitty yes!
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time a cat cant stay out of his box he is either sick or in pain.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - If you think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away

Feel in the pit of his stomach for a hard lump.. That could be a full bladder.

Drain the water from a can of tuna and see if he will lap it up. Offer him whole milk to drink.

Look around and make sure he did not urinate elsewhere before we panic.

Please let me know what is happening.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response .. i will bring him imediately to emergency vet
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please write as soon as you get home and let me know how he is doing.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i brought him to the vet.. he couldnt diagnose the problem... so he gave him a painkiller... when i took him home he soiled the rug.. first solid then more fluid
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he's eating a bit now
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

GREAT, any eliminating is a good sign. At least we know he is not blocked.

Offer him tasty foods he cannot refuse like tinned, baby food with no onion or garlic, tuna, salmon, etc.

If he has loose stools add one tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice to a tin of food.

He may be stressed. If you give him turkey, it contains l-triptophan and is quite calming.

Offer him tuna water to keep him hydrated.

Please keep in touch to let me know how he is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate may answer so I am credited by the site. Rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.

Your brother is VERY lucky to have YOU!