PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My name is ***** *****. I have a female cat about 12 years

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a female cat about 12 years old that is showing signs of UTI (frequent trips to the box, licking, not much coming out). She just squatted on the couch and tried to pee - i let her so I could see what came out w/out the litter in the way. There was a little pee and a little round mucous/jelly thing with a teeny spot of blood in it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 4 cats all from the same litter - we've had them since they were 5 weeks old. We do not feed them dry food and the boys have had crystalization issues in the past. This jelly droplet is something new
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm going to pass - thanks.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. The best thing to do at this point is to have a urinalysis performed to see what's causing this UTI problem (bacteria? crystals?) and to have treatment started accordingly. Since you've already changed the diet to help avoid crystals, I would hope that this is from bacteria only. Once she's been started on antibiotics her symptoms should quickly wane.

So long as she's still peeing, this can wait for morning. If she stops being able to go, she needs to go to the ER promptly.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?