Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

My name is ***** *****...One of our cats, Gabby, was bitten

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****...One of our cats, Gabby, was bitten by a dog or coyote 3 years ago and has a spinal injury that has calcified over time...A vet's x-ray indicates that she has arthritis and a calcified disc that has slipped and appears to be pressing her spinal chord...She now has difficulty standing on her rear legs and is wobbly...Her left leg appears worse with her toes curling under when she tries to stand...We have been giving her an oral treatment for pain and inflammation...What are realistic treatments and prognosis?...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All the details that I am sure of are noted above...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry about Gabbys condition. This may be due to the arthritis that is so severe that extra bone development is interfering with the nerve supply causing this lack of function. Medications such as Meloxicam and Glucosamine/Chondroitin as a daily supplement to add lubrication to Gabby's joints. There is a chance that this arthritis is permanent and the only thing you can do is to keep Gabby on pain medications. It is best to use the medications as an anti inflammatory and hope that inflammation is causing Gabbys issues. If this is not enough, have a consult with a veterinary surgeon that may be able to give Gabby back soe of her nerve supply to increase function.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****