Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My fiance and I moved in together about 8 months ago, and

Customer Question

Customer: Hello! My fiance and I moved in together about 8 months ago, and created a 'blended family' of cats. We consulted with our vet beforehand, and read countless articles about how to introduce the cats to the new house and to one another. We made every effort, and things seemed to be going ok after a few months. However, two of the cats seem to have been in a territory war recently. One (or more) of them started spraying, and within about 2 weeks, the carpet in almost every room on our first floor was targeted. We have gone to extensive efforts to remedy this. We separated the cats back into their own bedrooms as we had when we first moved in. We spent a lot of time, money and energy trying to clean the carpets, but an odor remains. At one point, after using an array of products and doing a pretty decent job of removing the smell in the dining room, my younger cat Minion squatted and urinated in the room right in front of us, twice. This behavior is extremely out of character for her or any of our cats. We relocated my fiance's cat, the aggressor, to his parents house until we can get control of the situation. She seems pretty happy, as do my fiance's parents, so we think we'll probably make that her permanent home.We're going to replace the carpet on our first floor with laminate wood. I've isolated my cats in 'their' bedroom on the second floor while we fix the first floor.Finally, my question... :) Is Minion likely to urinate in the dining room again, on the laminate floor? My vet recommended a few products, like CatAttract and a few pheromone sprays, which we will purchase. I'm looking for advice about how to reintroduce my cats to the first floor of my house please.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minion?
Customer: Minion is a 2-3 year old shelter rescue, and she seems to be mostly Russian blue.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry you are having trouble with the fur kids.

How many cats are in the house now?

Is Minion the only one soiling out of box?

What foods does she eat?

do you know which cat was the head kitty (alpha)?

All indoor cats?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer of if you prefer we can speak on the phone.