PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our Neighbor lady who used to feed all the stray cats, now

Customer Question

Our Neighbor lady who used to feed all the stray cats, now there are at least a dozen and she sold her home and moved away.
Now, the cats are coming in our home through the doggy door and eating all of our cat and dogs food each night.
At night, if we go into the laundry room where the doggy door is, 3 or 4 of them run out. We cant open our laundry room door or the cats will come inside our home.
How can we stop them from coming in the doggy door?
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi JACustomer, is there anyone feeding these feral cats on the home premises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of

There are a few different ways to look at this. I sympathize with your situation, but I worry that urine is only going to make your home smell bad and the cats (who are around a lot of urine anyhow) will simply barrel through the door anyhow in search of food.

The unfortunate thing is that the woman before you guys set a standard of care for these cats that they now expect. And working as much as I do with ferals, I can tell you that they're ruthless when it comes to the pursuit of food. The easiest short-term solution is going to be putting food out for them to eat. That being said, nothing stops you from contacting a TNR group or a feral coalition in your area to see if someone can ensure that these cats are altered and being cared for. In some cases, these types of groups can either get the cats rehabbed and adopted, moved into barn programs (if not social) or possibly integrated into another stray or feral group. There are lots of different approaches.

If you don't mind sharing your city and zip code, I'll be happy to look into any of these types of groups that might be in your area who could potentially help or better advise you whilst able to see the area in person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Sacramento, CA 95864

Thank you. Give me a little while here, I'm not sure how long this will take. Could be a few minutes or up to an hour or more. As soon as I've responded, the website will generate an email for you so that you can view the message and we can continue chatting.

There's lots of other things I can recommend, as well, but it may involve you guys doing the work yourselves. Unfortunately, when people leave so many cats uncared for the tend to become a nuisance. One of the biggest ways to keep that problem controlled is to spay and neuter all the adults (minimize additional numbers), feed and shelter them. At that point, they pretty much keep to themselves.

Spoke too soon, looks like you have quite a few resources available in your area since you live in such a large city.

http://www.sacferals.com

http://www.coalition4cats.org

It also looks like the Sacramento SPCA has a grant funded to them for TNR (trap-neuter-return) work which may be a resource for you guys, as well.

A facebook page for those who need resource help: https://www.facebook.com/sacferals/

Here's info on the SPCA program: http://www.sspca.org/program-services/feralcommunity-cat-program/

Checking in to see if there's any questions I can answer for you regarding the resources I posted yesterday.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy