Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Our cat's inner eye is swollen in the corner of each eye,

Customer Question

Customer: our cat's inner eye is swollen in the corner of each eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Frankie, just 1y he is an indoor cat only
JA: How old is Frankie?
Customer: 1y ol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankie?
Customer: no, he's healthy cat and indoor cat only
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I am a licensed veterinarian. The inside corner of each eye you are describing is known as the nictans membrane or "third eyelid". When both eyes have a swollen third eyelid, it is due to allergic conjunctivitis or viral/bacterial conjunctivitis usually with an upper respiratory infection. First thing hong is to determine if your cat has nasal discharge or experience any sneezing or wheezing? If no nasal discharge or if you have nasal discharge and the discharge is clear, allergic conjunctivitis is more likely. In this case, an anti-histamine can be prescribed by your veterinarian. If nasal discharge is yellow or green in color, this indicates infection which most often affects the conjunctivita in the eye and the reason the third eyelid is elevated. Your kitty may also have decreased appetite and energy too. Also, when the 3rd eyelid is elevated, this is usually associated with inflammation which can cause corneal ulceration and other secondary issues. Because of this, I would recommend your kitty see his regular vet for an appointment where he/she can exam the eye closely and possibly apply a stain to rule out any scratch or ulcer in the cornea.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please do not forget to rate my response which I hope you found to be excellent. Let me know if you have other questions by replying to this message:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Perfect thanks so much he will be going to doc today.

Okay, good to here:) Please take the time to rate my answer if you haven't done so already!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett
Hello again:) I am just checking in to see how your cat is doing and if have further questions? If not, please rate my response so I can be credited for helping assist you and your pet..thank you