PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

14 year old diabetic cat started vomiting about 12 hours

Customer Question

Customer: 14 year old diabetic cat started vomiting about 12 hours ago. Every couple of hours now green/yellow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so. She is an indoor cat. I have noticed her around a new schefflera (spelling) plant, but I can't see any bite marks.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Abby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: Just that she is diabetic.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence.

Unfortunate Schefflera is toxic. It's toxic not only to cats, but also to dogs and can cause calcium oxalate crystals to form inside of the body. We commonly see, as well, that it can cause intense oral irritation/burning, ulcers inside of the mouth, drooling, problems swallowing, etc. Her being diabetic aside, she needs to see a vet soon. It will be not only imperative that they stop the vomiting so that she can hold down food and take insulin, but also to treat the toxicity caused by the schefflera plant.

Here's the ASPCA toxicity sheet:

You'll want to be sure that it's present when you take your girl in. Because she's vomiting, it would be ideal to speak with a veterinarian about her care before giving her insulin to prevent a possible diabetic crisis. In your shoes, I'd make sure to either be at or calling the vet's office upon them opening tomorrow morning. If you can have her seen overnight, that would be even more ideal.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish answering your question before you rate my service.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?