Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I found a spot in my basement where apparently time my cats

Customer Question

Customer: I found a spot in my basement where apparently for a long time my cats had been pooping. I cleaned it all up and used a lot of bleach. They have gone twice since then
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Had?
Customer: well - I had 2 cats that were 6. One passed away and I got a new kitten who is about 8 months old. I believe the cat that passed away may have started it. But it is obvious at least one of the current ones is doing it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Had?
Customer: No. Other than I am using Yesterdays News for litter. I had used Tidy Cat for years. And the cats are not "Had" They are Hershey and Cadbury
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I am so sorry you are having trouble. The problem is twofold.

1. Cement is porous and absorbs odors.

2. No detergent or even bleach is going to fool a cats nose. Even though you can no longer smell poop, the kitties can. You must saturate the area with an enzyme product like zero odor

to completely get rid of the smell. Next rub lemon on the spots. Cats HATE the smell of citrus. Then the cats will avoid the area.

It sounds like Hershey and Cadbury are all ready for Easter.

Please let me know how things go.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind Regards,