Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My name is ***** *****. My cat, Austin, is about 1 and half

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My cat, Austin, is about 1 and half years old. When I found him he had discharge from his eyes. He has had this all his life. I was told it was allergies or sinus conditions. His eyes are very bright and clear. The vet said there was nothing to be concerned about. Just clean his eyes daily. SHould i be concerned. What should I use to clean his eyes. He now has a small raw spot where his discharge goes. I think he keeps scratching it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That about it. Is there anything I should use on the raw spot. He sneezes sometimes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry Austin has this trouble. The best thing to use on his eyes is damp teabag. Just dab it on 3 times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and lower the PH of his tears. That should stop sores forming where the skin is irritated.

For sores anywhere on the body dab on honey. It is a remarkable healing agent.

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

For allergies Austin may have any of these:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how Austin is doing.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri