Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have 2 cats that gave birth days apart and she keeps

Customer Question

We have 2 cats that gave birth days apart and she keeps moving them and the other mom has surrogate them,,, 2nd mom is extremely nervous we have given in to here about where she wants 2 go.but now she is very mean about it won't settle down
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

Hi Noreen,

I can help you with this. I used to breed and have been through it many times.

The problem with cats is they cannot count. So, whichever mom is the head kitty (alpha) will try to grab all the babies for herself. She actually "thinks" SHE gave birth to all of them.

The two problems are the stolen kittens are not getting colostrum from their own mother and her milk will dry up she does not nurse.

You can keep both mother cats in the same nesting area and let them nurse each others babies. However, if Betty will not put up with that, take two of the babies out and put them with their own mother. Cat #1 will probably try go get them and bring them back. However, she cannot be in two places at once. So, when she leaves the nest, get one of her babies and give it to her. Keep repeating this until she gives up.......she will eventually.

Get a feliway plug-in to keep everyone calm.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906

Please let me know how things are going. If you need anything along the way, I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri