Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 11+ neutered male was diagnosed with Idiopathic

Customer Question

My 11+ neutered male was diagnosed with Idiopathic Chylothorax on 1/30. The Vet drained fluid from his pleural space & sent him home "for a few last days with us"...Me being who I am wasn't able to accept this "diagnosis" and hit the internet. Since then, he's been on a very low fat diet & getting 1000mg of Rutin a day. He wasn't back to his old self completely but the coughing stopped & he was eating/drinking. I kept an eye on his breathing & yesterday he seemed to be struggling again. So back to the vet (who I think was surprised to see him) Drained his pleural space again - there was less fluid, gave him a cursory exam, sent him home. Now he won't eat or drink. He keeps working his mouth like he's choking. Help!
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hurry
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about Stimpy. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry an expert was not available to help you before now. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Was the fluid drained from him analyzed microscopically on 1/30 or the second time? Or sent to a lab for analysis?

How is he doing now? Do you still need help with him?