Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

S lip and under s jaw is quite swollen, buddy and he is 10,

Customer Question

Customer: his lip and under his jaw is quite swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: buddy and he is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: I applied pataction plus yesterday for flea control
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The main concern I have for swelling under the jaw and of the mouth, is a tooth root abscess. In cats, we can see an abscess lead to swelling under the jaw. This is because their tooth roots are quite long.

The diagnosis is usually made with dental x-rays. In really severe cases, we can see gingival involvement on oral exam. Most cats will require anesthesia and dental x-rays, though. Once diagnosed, the infected tooth or teeth can be removed. This is curative.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.