petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Coughing - always coughing, I brought m t the vet and he

Customer Question

Coughing - always coughing, I brought him t the vet and he said there is nothing wrong with him (after a full exam), really trust this VET, but he seems to be having a tough time breathing when he coughs, is there something i could possibly do to help him?
Thank you so very much
Pumpkin's Mom
Laura
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Pumpkin today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did your vet radiograph Pumpkin's chest?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dr. Z
No my vet never did any thing other than listen to his heart/lungs etc.
thank you
Laura
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Based on your description, I would be very concerned that he could possibly be affected by asthma. This can become life threatening if it is occurring and he ends up in respiratory distress. I would definitely follow up with a vet to have him xrayed. Keep in mind that not all cats with asthma will have notable changes when radiographed, but even if he doesn't, he may benefit from having an antihistamine and/or bronchodilator prescribed.

Here is a link with much more information about this condition.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z