Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 10 year old domestic shorthaired cat. He's been

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 10 year old domestic shorthaired cat. He's been vomitting every 2-3 days, almost immediately after eating food. Sometimes I see some hair in the vomit, but it's more uncommon that normal. He used to only eat grain-free dry food, with canned food every once in a while. But he started vomitting like this about 3 months ago. I took him to a nearby vet, and the bloodwork revealed that he had a bit of a high white blood cell count. The doctor prescribed metrodinazole for a possible stomach infection. He managed to take half of the 7-day dosage he was supposed to take, but after that he's been throwing up the rest of the pills no matter what I do. I've done everything I can think of, but he can't seem to keep the pill down. I do give it to him after he eats. I've since stopped giving him the pill, and he's still vomiting at the same frequency. The only anomaly that I've noticed was when I took him to the vet, they gave him an IV fluid since he was a bit dehydrated, and they also gave him an antacid and an anti-nausea medicine. He went for about a week before vomiting again since he had taken that combination of medicine. The rest of the blood work done on him came back all positive, he's perfectly healthy other than the high white blood cell count. His behavior doesn't seem strange to me either, he's perfectly hungry, sleeps frequently and I don't notice anything unusual about him, he seems happy. How can I get my kitty to stop vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: He's just eating canned food now, since his back teeth are kind of in bad shape and it seems to hurt when he chews anything solid.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Nermal.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nermal?
Customer: He had tape worms about a year ago, but was treated with medicine and that came up negative this time around.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Many of these chronic gastrointestinal issues in cats can be related to a dietary problem, a food allergy, a chronic pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or intestinal lymphoma. In face, hyperthyroidism, IBD and lymphoma can show the exact same clinical signs. The only ones out of these diseases that can be diagnosed with blood work is hyperthyroidism and pancreatitis. So, make sure your vet ran a feline pancreatic lipase (FPL) and a thyroid value. Those are not normally on routine blood panels. I would probably help at this point to get an x-ray and/or an ultrasound of the abdomen. It is possible that some of these other diagnoses can be made with these tests, but endoscopy and biopsy of the intestinal tract is usually necessary for confirmation. So, from here, I would talk to your vet about running the FPL and thyroid if not already done, pursue a x-ray and/or ultrasound and consider potential endoscopy. If endoscopy and biopsy are not pursued, I will put some of these cats on a hypoallergenic diet, prednisolone and metronidazole, assuming the blood work is normal otherwise. That would more or less be a general treatment plan for some of these other issues. It won't confirm any specific diagnosis, but will help with most of these other diseases. It would probably help to get him on a few days of Cerenia for nausea as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.