Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My indoor cat is suddenly irritable, and growling at other

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My indoor cat is suddenly irritable, and growling at other pets in the house, she on occasion has made a very strange noise. She seems to be eating, not sure about bathroom and she is at least ok with me. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** think she is about 7. I rescued her years ago from dumpster someone threw her in a trash bag and put her in a dumpster
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doodle?
Customer: Not that I can think of, the only thing she evry had was a kidney infection about 3 yrs ago. also lately she wants to sleep with me for the last few nights
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry Doodle Bug is not acting like herself.

The symptoms you mentioned sound like she is in pain and that's why she's being more aggressive with the other pets in the household, and seeking more comfort from you.

If she had a problem with her kidneys a few years ago, this may have recurred or something else may be wrong. She could have jumped down from a height and caused trauma to herself, unbeknownst to you.

At this point, it would be advisable to have her evaluated in person by a vet, so she can be diagnosed and treated, if necessary.

If she's still eating, drinking and eliminating as usual, that's good, but you said you weren't sure about her elimination, I guess because you have a multi-cat household? Feel her body all over, gently, for any pain responses and also see if she feels unusually warm, as that would indicate a fever. If she does have fever, this could be due to a bacterial or viral infection in her system, which needs medication from the vet.

For the moment, you can try some Feliway plug ins, which emit cat calming pheromones. You can find them in your pet supply store.

http://www.feliway.com/us

I hope all will be well with Doodle Bug and please keep me posted on how she's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Doodle Bug is acting today. Do you see any improvements and/or were you able to have her seen by the vet to find out if something is causing her discomfort or pain?

An additional thought occurred to me; she could be exhibiting 'misdirected aggression'. This happens when a cat is either startled or frustrated--for example, if she were looking out the window and saw a flying bug or bird and couldn't get to it. If a cat experiences misdirected or redirected aggression, she will start being aggressive with other pets in the household and even humans. This is usually temporary and should resolve itself, but if it lasts for a while, there's always a possibility that something else is causing the aggression, and she should be seen in person by a vet. Here is more information:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/redirected-aggression-in-cats/

The good health and well-being of your kitty is my primary concern, so if you could please update me on how she's coming along, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you sent me a reply, but it is not showing up here, so if you can resend it, I would appreciate it. I assumed it was an update on how Doodle Bug is doing, now.

I also noticed that you have not yet rated my answer; can you please take a moment to do that today? It would be greatly appreciated, because it's the only way I am compensated for my assistance. Thank you.

I hope all is well. Please let me know.

Warmest regards,

Cher