Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis several months ago.

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis several months ago. We got her to eat again but every couple of weeks she would stop eating but drink more. About a week ago she stopped eating. I've resorted to offering her all kinds of canned food. She likes up the gravy and eat a tiny bit of it. Today she only liked a little and stopped drinking water. She has lost a lot of weight. She is almost 16
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The problem with pancreatitis is that it can become a chronic issue in cats. In many cases, it helps to feed them a highly digestible, low fat diet (usually prescription from your vet), but getting cats to eat something different can sometimes be difficult. It is possible for the pancreas to do enough damage to itself that it stops producing proper enzymes for digestion. Sometimes they need to be supplemented with pancreatic enzyme powder. If that is the case, then they can also become diabetic because the pancreas is responsible for producing insulin. My concern with her age is that she may have a pancreatic tumor. Cats who go anorexic for more than 3 days are prone to a serious liver problem called hepatic lipidosis, so that is certainly a concern right now. My recommendation at this point would be to have your vet check her out and discuss getting an ultrasound done to see if the pancreas can be better evaluated for chronic inflammaton, destruction of tissue (necrosis) or a mass. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.