Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My cat has been throwing up blood saliva yet seems healthy,

Customer Question

Customer: hello, my cat has been throwing up blood saliva yet seems healthy, eating and moving fine, should I be worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know however he is an outdoor cat and sometimes brings in mices as gift
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: he is 7 years old, a bit overweight and lately has been asking for food all the time yet he is on a diet food advised by the vet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. When did the vomiting with blood start? How much blood are you seeing in the vomit? Are his gums a normal color or a nice healthy pink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started last night, only noticed this morning, mainly saliva and very little blood, gums are normal
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you,

As long as there is not more than a teaspoon of blood or he is vomiting up digested blood which looks like coffee grounds. Because that would indicate a serious bleed.

And pale gum color would be a signs of a serious bleed as well.

Sometimes when they vomit the tiny blood vessels in the esophagus rupture and that causes a tiny amount of blood in the vomit.

I would start with giving him a stomach acid reducer.

Use 1/4 of a human over the counter Pepcid AC tablet every 12 hours.

You can pop it down his throat and chase it with a few drops of water so he swallows.

Or, you can put it in a treat.

Or, you can crush it and give it in a syringe or eye dropper with water.

I would not feed him, except for a treat to get the Pepcid AC in him, until he has not vomited for 8 hours.

Then offer him small bites of chicken for a day which is easier to digest than cat food.

If he does well with that put him back on his regular diet.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?