Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Cat won't open mouth, very weak, face looks swollen

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Roxanne and welcome.

I'm so sorry Sheamus is experiencing this problem.

How old is he?

Does he spend any time outdoors?

What did the vet say when you brought him in?

Is he being treated with any medication?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to receive a reply from you with some additional information about Sheamus, but I will send you an answer now, and if you have any further questions, just click 'reply' and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

If you brought him to the vet, I'm assuming he was examined thoroughly, perhaps imaging was done of his jaw and swollen area of his face and he was diagnosed and treated. If the vet had no diagnosis for you, your description of your kitty's symptoms could have various causes. He might have a dental problem, like an abscessed tooth or infected gums, causing the swelling in his facial area. He could have injured his jaw when falling from a height, unbeknownst to you, and have a hairline fracture or more serious fracture. He could be experiencing an allergic reaction to something he ate or something he contacted inside or outside the house, if he goes outside.

He's weak because he probably can't eat, and I'll assume the vet gave him some fluids if he was found to be dehydrated, and also, may have given him some I.V. nutrition. If he's still at the vet for treatment and observation, if he has any type of infection, he's probably also on I.V. antibiotics.

I hope your furry boy is feeling better, soon and please let me know how he's coming along. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher