Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is unable to poop but keeps trying. He is also

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** ***** my cat is unable to poop but keeps trying. He is also vomiting. He is 7 yrs old
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is meowing and seems in distress
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 months ago.

Hi Louisa,

I am sorry your boy is having trouble.

Sometimes straining is confused for constipation when actually the cat is unable to urinate.If he is constipated give him an ounce of whole milk. It is a natural laxative that will bring on stool within two hours.

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time a cat cant stay out of his box he is either sick or in pain.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - If you think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2142&aid=3601

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away

http://www.carecredit.com/ may finance his visit if money is an issue.

He may have a UTI that can be treated economically.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clindamycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32507/feline_cystitis_symptoms_and_its_treatments.html

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri