PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat had 5 teeth pulled two weeks ago. Took m in due to

Customer Question

My cat had 5 teeth pulled two weeks ago. Took him in due to constant sneezing and nasal discharge, turned out had abscesses in gums over these 5 teeth. Bacterial infection apparently spread to his nose/sinuses, and since surgery has gotten worse. Now in his tear ducts.
Vet is having a problem getting the infection under control. Since Tuesday 2/9, he's been on Clavamox and prednisone. Tear duct is getting worse, can't say whether other issue is improving.
Question: is it safe for him to be on prednisone as it suppresses immune response? Seems to be counterproductive.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hi Judy.

Your vet is likely using the prednisone to help reduce the inflammation to keep him the most comfortable. If using the pred bothers you, you can talk to your vet about using pain medication instead, however you may see an increase in the inflammation in his mouth which can in turn cause him to avoid eating. Cats mouths are tricky when it comes to infections and even just the smallest amount of swelling can really set a cat in a downward spiral resulting in stomatitis. If your vet continues to have issues, another choice antibiotic to consider would be clindamycin. Your vet may also wish to culture the bacteria within his mouth and/or nose and obtain a culture and sensitivity panel which will give you a list of antibiotics which should be most useful. A medication I see a lot of benefit from with my chronic sinusitis cats is azithromycin. It sounds like your vet is moving between antibiotics that help the mouth and also help with sinusitis/URI issues. It may be worth using lysine to help support his immune system, and also to address the potential that a herpetic infection may be using this opportunity to flare. It certainly won't hurt to use lysine for a case like his own.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, reply and I will help you further.

Hi Judy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fritz. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy