Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Well I'm not sure - my husband got home and apparently our

Customer Question

Customer: Well I'm not sure - my husband got home and apparently our Bengal had some how gotten into a bottle of Effexor - but we have no idea of she ingested any
JA: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Taboo - she was born July 28th
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Taboo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taboo?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one got into something not meant for her.

Effexor seems to be very attractive to cats for some reason. While cats will play with, but not ingest many pills that they find on the floor this is one they will often ingest.

It is important to count the pills to see if any are missing.

Even eating part of one 37.5mg capsule can cause dilated pupils, vomiting, a fast respiratory and heart rate, incoordination, and agitation. Signs of toxicity can occur within 1-8 hours with the regular formula and later if it is the extended release formula.

If it has been less that 2 hours since ingestion and she isn't showing signs then getting her to a veterinarian to induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to absorb toxins is best. If this is the extended release she will need a second dose of activated charcoal in 6-8 hours.

We can administer drugs to counteract the effects if she starts to show symptoms, such as cyproheptadine as a serotinin antagonist, and acepromazine or chlorpromazine to counteract the agitation.

If we can control the symptoms we can often get them through this in a couple days.

Your other option is to take a wait and see approach since she isn't showing signs now and you aren't sure she ate any. But id she starts to have dilated pupils, vomits or has a very fast breathing or heart rate or seems unsteady on her feet and agitated then emergency care is needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.