Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

It is a Farrow cat that I feed. I trapped m to have m

Customer Question

Customer: It is a Farrow cat that I feed. I trapped him to have him neutered. Which was done 4 mo. ago. Now he has rice looking worms. And yesterday he had projectile vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. When he first came to my home, he had 20 ticks on him. I've been putting flea and tick repellent on him for the past 6 mo.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I've been able to remove 6
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gibbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?
Customer: no. that's it
JA: OK. Got it. Do you think this is urgent?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The "rice looking worms" are segments of the flea tapeworm. He ingested at least one flea that contained a larval tapeworm. You can rid him of tapeworms by dosing him with an over the counter wormer containing praziquantel. Please see here: http://www.amazon.com/TradeWinds-Tape-Worm-Tabs-Tablets/dp/B009SD9TIY It would be prudent to worm him for roundworms as well with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate. Hopefully becoming parasite free will stop his vomiting. If you have trouble orally medicating him which would be understandable, his vet can inject him with praziquantel and provide you with a topical wormer for him. Because he's having trouble with both fleas and ticks, an over the counter product containing fipronil such as Frontline should be a topical spot-on of choice.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.