Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

How dow
, How does a kitten act with distemper? my

Customer Question

Customer: How dow
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: How does a kitten act with distemper? my kitten acts like she has something in her fur, and keeps moving ariund and bitting and trying to get it out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Rosanne and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you tonight.

I'm sorry your kitten is exhibiting these symptoms. It's possible that she has fleas, mites, or another type of external parasites that are biting her and bothering her.

There is a neurological condition called feline hyperesthesia, which will cause a cat to suddenly start biting at her back, sides, back legs and tail. Sometimes, she will take off running like something is chasing her. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

Symptoms of distemper are typically, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and loss of appetite. The symptoms you describe do not fit this profile.

For the moment, I would comb her with a stainless steel fine- toothed flea comb and see if anything is in her fur; if you do find fleas, dunk the comb in a tall plastic cup of warm water in which you placed 2 drops of original Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid; that will kill them.

If your kitten is over 2 months old, she can be treated with a monthly topical kitten flea treatment sold by your vet, like Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, or many others. Just make sure it's sold by your vet. Do NOT ever use flea treatments from supermarkets or pet stores like Hartz, Sergeant's, Zodiac and others, as they are ineffective and have had fatal results in kittens and cats.

I would recommend a check up by her vet, asap, for your kitten, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment to help her feel more comfortable.

My best wishes that all will be well with your little, furry girl!

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please tell me and/or rate with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. However, rating will not prevent us from continuing to communicate and you can ask follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again, Rosanne.

I'm just checking in with you to make sure you received my answer and see how your little one is doing, today.

Please let me know if you are able to have her seen by a vet, soon and update me on her condition. Unfortunately, from what you described, unless her problem is external parasites, like fleas, which you CAN treat at home with the right flea treatment (Advantage/Frontline for kittens 8 weeks and older), she will need to be examined in person by a vet, to find if there's another reason or reasons for her current behavior. She might also have allergies to some component in her food or a contact allergy to something she's coming in contact with, every day.

I would appreciate it if you could please keep me posted, as I'm concerned for her. Also, if you found my answer helpful, please let me know here, or rate positively, so I am recognized by the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher