Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has developed a twitch on s back and tries to run

Customer Question

My cat has developed a twitch on his back and tries to run from it. How can I help him? It comes and goes.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Patty and welcome!

I'm so sorry Rooster's symptoms have you worried.

From your description, it sounds like he may have a neurological condition called feline hyperesthesia. This causes the skin on the back to twitch or 'ripple/roll' and cats with this condition will typically try to bite at their backs or tail, plus, take off running, suddenly, like something is chasing them. This condition has been likened to seizures and a neurological workup by a vet or specialist would be a good next step. Here is more information about this condition:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

There are various treatments you can try at home, while the vet may recommend a prescription anti-anxiety medication to help with the symptoms. Some home treatments are listed here:

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2011/dec/treating_feline_hyperesthesia-12122#

You're already doing the right things, in trying to comfort and distract him, when this happens, but he has no control over it.

Since you mentioned you've been traveling a lot, this may be adding to his stress. For the moment, try Feliway, a cat calming pheromone, which comes in a plug in diffuser and a spray. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/us

I hope this helped and all will be well with your Rooster! Please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, Patty.

I'm just following up with you to see how Rooster is coming along.

Were you able to have him seen by a vet to get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if necessary? I hope you did and he's feeling much better or at least being treated to decrease his symptoms.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know if you found my answer helpful and/or if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Cher