nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

My kitten 6 months old t her head on the hard door running

Customer Question

Customer: my kitten 6 months old hit her head on the hard wood door running full speed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she ran into the cabinet and has been acting alittle strange since....kind of hiding by me but wont let me pick her up...saw some nerve twitch in her body and has been overly grooming herself
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she hit her head?

Does she seem mentally depressed?

Any wobbliness, tremors (a few twitches is fine), or seizures?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She hit her head around 630 pm yesterday. Her gums are pink and she eating and drinking mkrmally however she still doesn't seem like herself. No tremors or seizures.
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, she has had quite a wee trauma to her head. This could have shook the brain, and even caused a degree of brain swelling or a brain bleed. That said, the signs you initially reported are most consistent with headache, bruising over the skull, and a potential mild concussion. And just to note, as a prey species, cats often hide, withdraw, and avoid affection; as they are instinctively wired to not make themselves vulnerable (hence a target for predation) when they don't feel 100%. So, that is not unexpected.

Now you have reported no emergency signs that we'd necessarily act upon. Just like us, this will take a few days to settle and for her to stop being sore and possibly disoriented. In a case like this, we usually just rest them and monitor. Of course, if you feel she is quite tender in her head or just not getting back to normal over the next few days, then you can consider speaking to her vet about cat safe anti-inflammatories. These can just be used to manage any discomfort but also reduce any brain swelling that may be present and get her back to herself quicker.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet