petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Sudden onset vomiting in 3 yr old cat. Started with

Customer Question

Customer: Sudden onset vomiting in 3 yr old cat. Started with undigested food and went from that to white foam to bile. Has vomited at least 10 times throughout the night He is now of course tired and and depressed. He is sitting by the water bowl, but not really drinking. He is an indoor cat. He does have all shots. No diarrhea. Passing stool x2, not in litter box. Eats the same food most of the time, C/D dry and occ. chicken wet food. Only difference this week tried a new food from Wellness x1 day because ran out of the C/D.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He plays with pieces of firewood, but never see him eating it. We have another cat and he is fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?
Customer: None .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Have you seen him pass any urine in the past 24 hours?

Can you check his gums to see if they are nice an pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them? Are they wet or tacky to the touch?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
His gums are still pink and color comes back quickly when pressed. Not sure about urination, but ther is no bloating in the abdominal region and he does not seem to be in pain when pressure applied.
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Being a young male cat, of course we have to be worried about urinary obstruction. Not all obstructed cats will be painful, especially early on, so that doesn't rule it out, but most often they will be exhibiting other symptoms like frequent visits to the litter box or licking of the genital area.

The other concern in a young cat that is vomiting that frequently is a GI foreign body obstruction. Young cats are more likely ingest things they shouldn't and that can often times lead to an obstruction. Of course, there are various other things that can lead to vomiting in a cat, including metabolic disturbances like kidney or liver disease. Intestinal abnormalities, like inflammatory bowel disease can also lead to vomiting, but not usually that acutely. Additionally, cancer can cause vomiting. It is less common in younger cats, but not impossible.

Your best course of action is to have him examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If he continues to vomit today, I would definitely seek ER services. There is really not much that you can do for him and home other than to offer frequent small amounts of water to keep him hydrated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not observed him trying to urinate or going into the litter box. He is by the water bowl and is drinking a little or at least getting his nose wet. I will see how he does for a couple more hours. he has not vomited for several hours now. We have an emergency vet clinic a half hour away, so that is my plan if things don't improve.
Thank you for your advice. It is nice to know it is available.
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

You are most welcome and good luck with him. Please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.