Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats is 19yrs old and she's having trouble walking. Her

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Pearl, my cats is 19yrs old and she's having trouble walking. Her back legs have been going and they have got much worse over the last few days. She had trouble using the toilet on Friday night and was sick. She doesn't seem in pain but her litter tray is upstairs ad she's having difficulty coming down the stairs. I've put a litter tray on the ground floor but she won't use it. She didn't use the toilet once all day yesterday. I'm going on holiday next Saturday and am really worried about leaving her alone, I've got someone cat sitting while I'm away but don't want to give them the responsibility if she's only going to get worse.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No she didn't, i took her to the vets about this a few weeks back, they reckon it's old age or kidney failure but couldn't tell without blood tests. Should I take her back?
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat? Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?
Customer: She's been drinking more water and meowing a lot.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, Pearl is not available. My name is ***** ***** it would be my pleasure to help you.

Bless you for taking such awesome care of your 19 year old fur baby.

Do her back legs feel cold or have blue nail beds? Is she in any pain?

Excessive thirst can indicate diabetes or renal failure.

She may be arthritic which is common at her age.Warm some canned food and see if she will eat.

Canned food is also excellent for arthritis as is a glucosimine supplement:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_arthritis___joint_disease_cent.html

If she is constipated give her an ounce or two of whole milk. It is a natural laxative.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if she will lap it up for hydration.

If she does, offer some tuna. She can also have baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,'

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri