PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Was just looking up info on cats breathing thru their mouths

Customer Question

Was just looking up info on cats breathing thru their mouths + occasional sneezing. I adopted my cat from a shelter & he is about 10 years old. He eats plenty but may be drinking more water than the norm. Do you think I should try the pediatric nasal drops or just get him in to the vets office in the near future (next week)? Please advise.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Sarah.

You're never wrong to take a cat to the vet so that you can get an unbiased opinion on what is going on. There are plenty of things that can cause open-mouthed breathing, but we certainly want to rule out allergies and an upper respiratory tract infection. If this was a recent adoption, the risk of a URI is increased as many cats are exposed to URI concerns in both shelters and rescues.

If you wish to try nasal drops, saline are a good choice and should not cause any issues. If you see that symptoms persist for more than 24 hours after starting the drops without improvement, your companion stops eating or drinking, etc. then seeing a vet will become imperative.

If my answer has satisfied your question, please take the time toissue positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated fortheir time with each customer, like yourself. If questions remain,please reply and I will be happy to help you further.

Hi Sarah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sambuca. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy