Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My sphynx is all of a sudden not being as active and s back

Customer Question

My sphynx is all of a sudden not being as active and his back legs seem to go sideways when he walks sometimes. When he jumps down he lands a little crooked which is not normal. His left eye has also looked a little cloudy for a few days. Do you what this may be? I plan on calling the vet tomorrow.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry your furry boy is experiencing these problems.

Walking a little crooked and/or having weakness in his hind legs could be caused by various reasons. This could be a vestibular issue--the vestibular system controls balance and equilibrium and a symptom where a cat will walk like he's drunk or can't steady himself to walk straight (he could be dizzy, if this is vestibular syndrome), could be caused by an inner ear problem like an infection or a foreign object in the ear. Sometimes, there is no known cause and then it's called 'idiopathic.' Sometimes, this resolves on its own, but if there's an ear infection involved, of course he would need antibiotic ear drops to help clear that up. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

If his left eye has appeared cloudy for the past few days, he could have an eye infection, a scratched cornea or other corneal abrasion. You also might be seeing his third eyelid coming up over his eye,which is common when there is general illness in the body or a specific eye problem.

Weakness in the hind legs can also be caused by neuropathy, sometimes related to diabetes, so the vet should perform a routine blood test, tomorrow, when he's seen in person.

A head trauma may also be the contributing cause of his symptoms, if he was running and banged his head coming around a corner, etc., unbeknownst to you.

I'm very glad that you plan on calling the vet tomorrow, so you can arrange to have him seen and get a diagnosis and treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher