Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat was a stray who was spayed after her nearly full term

Customer Question

Customer: My cat was a stray who was spayed after her nearly full term kittens were aborted. She seemed okay and recovering at first, but in the six months since she has consistently gotten fatter and has ayers of fat that make her look pregnant. I am thinking it is an hormonal imbalance and wonder what i can do to help her. There is a holistic doctor nearby but I know that the costs wil be high and would prefer to find some kind of supplementation that will help her stabilize. Do you have any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cat was a stray and was pregnant at 9 mpnths old for the second time. We decided to keep her after late e abortion ans spaying and she has not been fed any differently than our male fixed cat who is about the same age. I believe her body thinks it is still pregnant since her kittens were aborted at almost full term.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Vets generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. Thank you for taking her in.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What food is she getting; what brand? Canned food and dry food? Do you leave food out all day or feed in 2 or 3 meals? Before doing hormone testing, I would start with figuring out how much she is eating and what she is eating. Many cats who were strays and had to struggle to find every meal will overeat if presented with all the food that they want. Measuring the food and feeding a low carbohydrate food or a "metabolic" diet may be all you need to do to get her to lose weight.

Let me know what you are feeding and how you are feeding and that is the best place to start to figure out what is the best next step.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I hope you were able to see the answer I sent. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?