Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My Mom has a cat that has aggression issues- toward me

Customer Question

Hi- My Mom has a cat that has aggression issues- toward me mostly. I will only go into her apartment if he is locked in a bedroom. It started when I stayed with her one night, in her bedroom, and he was not able to get into her room- she closed the door. the next day- he attacked me when I was sitting on the couch watching tv. I had no warning- did not expect it- he jumped on me and bit my arm- It became infected. He has gone after me a couple of times since then- once ,recently, he was outside her door- I came around the corner, he saw me and chased me- bit my leg- broke the skin through my jeans. It seems that he knows I'm afraid, and remembers that I keep him either outside or in a room when I visit. He can see me through the window when I'm there and he's outside. What can I do? My mom is ill and I need to spend time with her...?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry you are having this nightmare situation with Mom's cat.

Can you please tell me more about him?

How old is he?

Is he neutered?

How long has mom had him?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thank you,

Terri

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The cat is about 7-8 yrs old,originally, my niece took him in- most likely a ferral . He may be neutered- not sure. He lives w 2 female cats that are not afraid of him- he's afraid of them .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has been w my mother for about 6 years. He has attacked another woman that visited and stayed over my moms place. Since my mom has been sick- my brother stays w mom ( sleeps there) he has had to punch him- he said, to keep him away from him
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, how much will I be paying for your response
Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.I am so sorry you are going through this.

From your description I can tell this boy is a nervous, high strung scaredy cat. The females boss him around and probably bully him because they can sense his weak energy.

He has misdirected aggression toward you and your brother because he wants to take the attitude "Ill get YOU before you get me!" This is fear based. I do not think it can be handled with OTC remedies like feliway and rescue remedy.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/feliway/page1.aspx

http://www.rescueremedy.com/products/

He needs to be on prescription medication like prozac or xanax.

He most likely fears your brother and leaves him alone because of the punching but I would never advise anyone to hit a cat.

Tell your mom you want to consult a mobile vet to come to the house and get the cat started on one of the above tranquilizers. He cannot be allowed to injure you.

IF you can and want to put in the time to train him let me know and I'll tell you how.

Please let me know what happens. I will always be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,

Terri