Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a 16 year old kitty and he was diagnosed back in June

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 16 year old kitty and he was diagnosed back in June with spinal cord cancer and put on prednisone and gabapentin and then later I took him to a vet here where I live because he was peeing a lot and throwing up and he was diagnosed with CRF and his creataine level was 4.5 so he was put on Science Hills k/d cat food and that was all. Now he is constipated all the time so the vet put him on laclulose and that isn't helping, so last Saturday he was gagging and trying to throw up but nothing but saliva came up. I took him back to the vet and he said his blood work looked pretty good, creatine was still the same and they did some fluids and an enema and something for nausea. Today he is doing that again, but he starts gagging and trying to throw up when he gets in his litter box and tries to use it, he is very constipated and can't seem to do much. I would like to know what would cause him to gag, would it be more likely kidney or bowels blocked?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes what more do u need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Vets generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is so sick. Based on your description of his problems, I would suspect that the constipation is causing the nausea. The colon and stomach live right next to each other in the abdomen so if one is spasming, the other is often affected as well. It is very common to see nausea when an animal has an irritated colon.

Constipation in older cats is often secondary to dehydration. You may want to ask your vet about regular administration of fluids under the skin to help maintain normal hydration. You can learn to do this at home if you want.

The nausea can also be secondary to the kidney disease. The kidneys make the hormone that makes mucus in the stomach, so with kidney failure, there is not enough mucus in the stomach to protect it from the acid. Pepcid can be very helpful for these cats. The dose is 2.5mg per kitty twice daily.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he is also trying to pee and can't, what would cause this and he can barely walk tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I would worry about a bladder infection or inflammation in the bladder secondary to the constipation and dehydration.

The weakness is also from the dehydration.

Do you have a local animal emergency clinic near you? Can you take him for an exam and possibly consider fluids and treatments for the constipation again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have vets here but they rarely will come in for an emergency..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't peed all day long and I don't know what to do. He is in his pet carrier now just lying there.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Will your vet come in tomorrow to give your kitty fluids under the skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him some pain med and a cerenia for his stomach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he won't, I have tried before and he wouldn't.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Yikes...I didn't realize that he is that sick...Will your vet at least talk to you on the phone?

Would you feel comfortable telling me what city or town you live in? I can help you find a vet who can help you tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Campbellsville, Ky.. but because he's old they don't really want to fool with him much I think and plus he has cancer. He did eat a bite of dry food a little while ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also just went to the bathroom with his stool and was like a diaharreah.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I didn't spell that right, sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The laxative finally worked but now it's really thin and he acts like he is worn out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to clean him up where he had it on him but he cried out like it was hurting him so I had to stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ever since he was diagnosed with the spinal cancer back in June, he doesn't want his belly touched at all, he will cry out in pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait until morning and maybe see how he is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I force feed him anymore water since he isn't peeing any?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u still here?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I was looking at the map. How far are you from Lexington?

I would consider trying to give him water by mouth this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am about two hrs from Lexington and Louisville also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess with the cancer and all and not knowing what all is going on with it, guess he won't be here much longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is huge from the prednisone and looks like a basketball with toothpick legs, breaks my heart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is my best friend and I don't know what I will do without him, love him so much.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, that is quite a drive, but something to consider for tomorrow if he is not rallying.

I would use a syringe to try to give him water tonight, but go slow to minimize choking. I would aim for 100 to 150mL in 24hrs.

I am so sorry you are going through this with him. It is so hard to watch our furry friends at the end of their lives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is, I think I will die without him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With him not peeing, not sure what is going on.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am worried that he is dehydrated, so he is not making urine.

Can you syringe feed him water tonight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got finished giving him some.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another 15 yr old Maine Coon and she was diagnosed with kidney disease in the early stages too, but she is peeing like crazy, huge amounts and then also they think she has pancreatitis.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I think that is the best you can do tonight.

Can you take his temperature as well? Sometimes very sick kitties will get cold and heat support such as warmed blankets can help. Normal temperature is 100 to 102.5.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't know how or have anything to take his temp. He won't even try to get up now, I don't think he can walk at all, just lying in there in his pet carrier and I just gave him another syringe of water, but I have to get some sleep tonite.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I would recommend wrapping him in blankets to minimize any heat loss from his body so that he is as comfortable as possible tonight.

I will be on-line in the evening tomorrow if you have any more questions.

I am sending cyber-hugs in this difficult time.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitty doing today? Did he perk up after giving him the water last night? Did you end up taking him to the emergency room today?

Dr. A