Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has been projectile vomiting
, She is apprx

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my cat has been projectile vomiting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is apprx 10yrs old (we really our unsure she was a stray). Low maintenance her whole life. She was apprx 16 lbs, fat cat. Always was on IAM indoor weight control hairball formula dry food About 4 months ago, i started finding massive amounts of vomit (completely digested food) This was not i ate to fat because I am piggy and threw up. So i changed her food Science diet sensitive stomach now these episodes would be sparatic, sometimes everyday for 3 days and then nothing for 2 weeks Ok so diet change didnt work, so i took her to the vet. Blood work= fine. Stool=fine. No nothing parasites, nothing ebnormal so it persisted, so we did an xray and ultrasound all while she was awake, again low maintenance cat. Results show a bit of food in her belly even though she had fasted and some inflamation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: The only thing that has changed in my house is right around the same time i realized she was eating the dog found and the dog food was changed from canidae to science diet
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can confidently say that she has not eaten any dog food in over a month. But her sparatic projectile vomiting still occurs. She is also on an anti-acid in the am and anti-naesua at night. She has lost weight since i ensure she insist dipping into the dog found as an aside.
Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry your girl is not feeling well.

I see you feed her a dry food diet. That is the most common cause of vomiting in cats. It also causes overweight, diabetes and urinary tract issues.

Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

The dog food may have set this off because it is not balanced for cats.

Go out and get a few jars of human baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Feed her only that for a few days to rest her GI tract.

For an antacid add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C (famotidine) to a tablespoon of baby food every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Once she is vomit free for 48 hours she can return to her former diet. However, in order for her to lose weight naturally and safely she should eat canned food. It is much lower in calories and carbs than dry food.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For over a month now she has been on prescription dry and wet diet food hills i/d and metobolic. The mix of wet and dry wasnt working, so i switched to just wet. Hills I/D formula. And the meds i mentioned. For the past 2 weeks only wet. But she still has episodes of projectile vomitting.
Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Hills is not the best food for a cat. It used to be..but now it contains grains and additives.Some vets push it, only because they sell it.

It would be best (now that she is older) to switch her to natural,grain free foods with no additives.

You will find some at Petco:
http://www.petco.com/N_23_92_4294958166/Cat-Food-On-Sale.aspx

Also at www.wildcalling.com

We need to rest her tummy for a couple of days to allow the irritation to heal. Human baby food is the mildest thing she can eat right now.

In addition, raise up her bowls like on a phone book so she does not swallow air when she eats.

Please let me know how she does on that program

Expert:  Terri replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri