Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Just checking to see is I need to take my 4- month old male

Customer Question

Just checking to see is I need to take my 4- month old male kitten to get treated. His right front foot was caught in the mattress netting tightly at the joint above the pad of the foot for several hours. He's been freed now but the paw is very swollen. We gave him moist food which he ate, and water. He's resting with his person now. I was checking when to expect the swelling to go down or if I should do anything else for him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The swelling should go down over the next 12-24 hours now that the tourniquet is removed. The things to keep an eye on, are color and temperature. If the foot is really cold or if any of the skin is turning black, then I would get him seen right away.

As long as the foot is warm, then we can assume there is blood flow. I would try to do some massage on the foot to help push some of the edema/ swelling up the leg. You can massage from the toes up and also flex/ extend each joint from the toes up. Do this every 2-4 hours. That will help it resolve faster.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.