PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My haired persian cat 2 years old started having a small

Customer Question

Customer: hi, my long haired persian cat 2 years old started having a small amount of blood in feces took to the vet after they examined they asked me to watch and he got metronidazole b.i.d, blood stopped but he started to have a two episodes of diarrhea he is not lethargic i stopped the dry food but not the canned food he eats two cans/day, until now what is the problem what can I do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my name is ***** ***** above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yea
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in the current very loose stool I noticed a hairball passed as well
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hi Sahar, thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your boy is having problems. Can you give me some additional information?

1) When did your vet have you start the metronidazole (how many day has he been on the medication?)

2) Is he still on the medication now?

3) Has this always been a problem for him or did it just begin? That is, has he had stool with you before or did this just start?

4) Did the metronidazole ever fully stop his symptoms?

5) What is the canned food is your vet having you feed him?

This additional information will help me to give you the most concise answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1- he started The metronidazole last Thursday it's been 5 days now
2- he is still taking it
3-he never had sucha symptoms this is the first time He experienced the blood he passed on thursday which worried me to take him, but before Thursday incident he had the first diarreahal episode amd stopped for a day, I had to remove all the food for a day and gave water to avoid dehydration
Now we are back to that episode
4- the metronidazole stopped the blood but the stool was loose brown, today it's light brown a bot watery than before
5- he is always on "Wellness Signature Selects Chunky Beef & White Meat Chicken Entree in Sauce Canned" and the dry food I also put on side during the day is "Natural Ba***** *****mited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Chicken Formula"

The food that he's on currently, has he been on this long term or is this a switch for him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Long term been more than a year now

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed to know. Give me a few minutes here and I'll have a response for you. I tend to type quite a bit, so there may be a little delay.

Metronidazole is often used in cases of GI problems because it has two benefits, not only is it an antibiotic but naturally it improves stool quality. In many cases of chronic GI upset, animals are placed on this medication long term to help with stool issues. The fact that it helped with the blood, but not the diarrhea, may suggest that another antibiotic will need to be used. My personal favorite for chronic diarrhea in adult cats is baytril. This is not usually one that's reached for, but I've found it to be very useful with those diarrhea cases that don't respond to much else. In those cats I've had come through my own home and rescue that had cultures performed on their stool after chronic diarrhea battles, baytril has always been the magic medication. Two cents from the trenches. Might save you some money in the long run.

If your boy is not already on a GI pre/probiotic, now would be the time. It won't hurt to add this into a regimen to see if it helps. The point of this supplement is to get the proper balances back to the GI flora. It's often that something can throw off the balance and that's when diarrhea starts. It's never been a fix-all in my experience, but it has helped greatly those who needed it: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Pre+++Probiotic+Water+Soluble+Powder-prod11655.html

Another item that may help is to use some additional fiber. This is commonly recommended in veterinary medicine, although I have yet to see it make astounding improvements for cats. That being said, it's clear that since he's passed a hairball that it may assist him more than your typical feline. You can use this now and in the future. You cannot overdo it with fiber and cats who do have long coats typically benefit greatly from the increased fiber in their diet. I use and recommend Libby's canned pumpkin. You can buy organic sourced canned pumpkin, by preference, but ensure that whatever you use that it's just pumpkin and not pie filler. Cats typically enjoy canned pumpkin and many of them will eat it plain. You can also mix it in with the canned food, if you'd like. You may notice his stool take on an orange appearance and it may stain his haircoat (probably not worse than the diarrhea he's already experiencing, thankfully). Because most cats only need a little and there's a lot in a can, don't hesitate to open a can, put a tbsp or two into each cavity of an ice tray and freeze them for future usage. A few tbsp is plenty per cat each day, so you can fill the ice tray cavities either halfway or all the way to the top. Either of these amounts will be fine for your boy. Again, can't overdo it with the pumpkin. The worst you'll have is orange stool.

Eventually, your vet is going to recommend doing an out-house lab, parasite screen and culture and sensitivity. If your boy is not exposed to other animals, the risk of parasites will be low, but a culture and sensitivity can yield useful information in telling you what bacteria are present, appear to be overgrown and what antibiotics you can use (see above with my baytril reference). This step is most useful in determining if a diet change should be done (see below).

Although it would be uncommon, you may also have to look at a diet change. It's not uncommon for purebred cats to acquire food sensitivities and IBD with age. Although he's only two, he's old enough to have inflammatory changes in his bowels. I won't harp on this since we don't know if this will be the case or not, but keep the potential of 1) limited ingredient food in your back pocket and 2) a raw diet of novel variety (like rabbit, duck or turkey). Rather than go into vast detail, it might be easier to reach out to me again later if you make it to a point where you're ready to throw up your hands and try a change of diet. I'll be happy to write you a novel then on all the things that I've seen purebreds tend to respond to when the typical diets fail. Most vets will recommend Hill's I/D, W/D and so forth. I have a sneaking suspicion since you feed Wellness and Natural Balance that the high filler content in commercial veterinary prescription foods may not sit well with your desired food quality. If that's the case, we can work around that. They aren't the only company to make sensitive stomach diets.

There's a lot more that I can add to this, but it will help me to know if your boy makes improvements with the first steps of pre/probiotics, added fiber and if a switch to baytril did him any good (and you can certainly try others, baytril is just the one that I prefer to reach for since it's been a drug of choice on practically all of our culture and sensitivity reports). If not, I'll be happy to talk you through our diet routine for purebreds with chronic stool issues. So far, we've had over 50 purebreds surrendered for this condition and every single one of them has made the switch to normal stool and they've gone on to be adopted. Best of luck with your little man <3

Good morning, Sahar. Checking in to see how things are going with your young man. Has his diarrhea made any improvements?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, his vet gave me purina probiotics to add with the food once a day, They gave me id canned food to try for him , he tried it for two days but i ran out of ID so I have his old wellness canned food with the probiotics, now he has a loose stool
He vommited yearerday in the morning "hairball" he was still eatin ID canned food, today also vomitted 3 hairballs I really don't know if it's food related, and why he started to vomit a lot of hairballs, he is a very long haired persian cat he licks his body a lot, will take him for grooming next weekend
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Shall I put only dry food with the probiotics ?

You can certainly try the dry with probiotics. If you don't see an improvement, you may still be looking at a food switch. It's always smart to start at the smallest, cheapest, easiest steps and work up to the more in-depth and expensive. That way you know what's worked, what hasn't and that you've tried all you can before resorting to other things.