Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat Kiki has has a problem with her. She is too fat to

Customer Question

My cat Kiki has has a problem with her butt. She is too fat to clean herself, so I would check it periodically and wipe it with a warm wet washcloth. (She is on a diet since this began.) On Dec 31st, I wiped her butt and she screamed in pain. It was badly swollen. Our regular vet was out of town so I took her to another vet. He said she had infected anal glands, gave her an antibiotic shot and another one-time oral dose for the following Monday (Jan 4), and told me to put hemorrhoid cream on her butt for the swelling. It got better for a bit, but not fully, then started to swell again. I took her to her regular vet, explained what had been going on, and he pushed on both sides of her anus and said that she had diverticulitis. He didn't do anything else. Just now, she was sitting, attempting to reach her butt to groom and she started meowing very loudly, obviously in pain. I could see her stomach moving a bit like you see with a cat in labor. (She was fixed around 5 years ago.) She kept yowling with her mouth open, moving her head in a kind of Stevie Wonder motion. Her stomach has several hard lumps in it. I rubbed her belly, used a syringe to make her drink some water, and gave her a nsaid pill that our regular vet had given us for her pain. She's calm now, even though the pill has not had time to work yet. I don't have any money to take her to the animal hospital, which is an hour away, but I will borrow it if I have to. Is it safe to wait until tomorrow to take her to a regular vet? Or should I take her to the animal hospital tonight?
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-cat/5mc37-cat-diverticulitis.html#ixzz3wzJplXZK
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. If this is an anal gland problem which is very common in overweight cats then yes it can be dealt with tomorrow.(And cats don't get diverticulitis)....so sounds like the first vet you went to was better however, she needs to be sedated and have her anal gland squeezed and probably both sides flushed out with very dilute betadine and then we instill dermalone cream into both sides to reduce the inflammation. And I like to use injectable Convenia antibiotic to treat these with a follow up injection in 1 week. If cats need pain medication (which they usually do) then I like to send home Buprenorphine ot be given orally as it us much safer than NSAIDS for cats.

I hope this has answered your questions but please let me know if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much.