Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My name is deb I got a kitten a malayan the past week s

Customer Question

Customer: hi my name is ***** ***** got a kitten for Christmas a Himalayan the past week his little belly is swelled up!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is eating ok going to the bathroom ok the breeder said he has been dewormed he was born july 2015 I don't know why all of a sudden he has a pot belly
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i mguess
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Deb and welcome!

I'm sorry your new, furry addition has a swollen belly. The usual causes for this are intestinal parasites, gas, or constipation. You said he's going to the bathroom alright, so I assume he's not constipated, which is great, but since he was wormed a while ago, he might need another worming. Typically, the worming treatment is given a few weeks apart, so the best thing to do, would be to bring him to his vet for a complete check up and a diagnosis as to the swollen belly. If he needs to be wormed, the vet will give him the medication and then, might tell you to repeat it in 2-3 weeks.

For the moment, if he is eating, drinking, eliminating and playing/acting normally, that's great, but try to get him in to see the vet tomorrow, if possible.

I hope all will be well with your little guy!

I hope this helped, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please hit 'rate my service,' as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,

Cher