Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My Persian cat got shaved under sedation today and they cut

Customer Question

My Persian cat got shaved under sedation today and they cut off her whiskers. She still hasn't come around fully & is very down in herself and unbalanced. I'm sick with worry
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Ciara and welcome!

I'm so sorry you're worried about Betty.

The sedation may have not worn off completely yet, and this, plus the fact that they cut off her whiskers, is adversely affecting her balance. Whiskers help cats with balance and also help them gauge if a place is big enough for them to enter and get out of, without getting stuck.

If you had this done at a vet's office or a groomer's call them to report her current condition and give them an argument for cutting her whiskers! This is a definite mistake and shouldn't have happened!

Try to get her to eat a little bland, smooth canned cat food and/or to drink some water. Keep monitoring her responsiveness and make sure she's reacting when you call her name and/or touch her. She will most likely feel like sleeping it off, if the sedation medication is still in her system, but depending on what they gave her and how much, will determine when she will start feeling back to herself.

If you feel her symptoms are worsening, a visit to a vet or an ER vet center would be best, ***** ***** check her heart rate and blood pressure, and some blood may be taken, to see how much of a level of the sedation medication is still in her system.

Do not try to dropper feed her with food or water, if she is not fully conscious, as you wouldn't want her to aspirate; however, you can rub some honey (a few drops) on her gums, if her blood sugar is low, and this might help her perk up.

I hope your furry girl is back to herself, very soon and please keep me posted on how she's coming along. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Cher, do you believe that the whiskers getting cut off will cause her stress or illness or will she b normal after a few days
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi, again Ciara and you're most welcome!

The whiskers getting cut off will not cause her illness, but she might be a little stressed at first, because they're part of her 'guidance' system and she'll miss them. She'll get used to it, though, and as they grow back, she'll be back to normal.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Ciara.

I'm just checking in on you and Betty to see how she's doing, now. Does she seem a little more steady on her feet? Is she acting more like herself?

I hope she's doing much better, but keep in mind that it may take a while for her whiskers to grow back and then she will feel completely back to herself!

If you found my answer helpful, please let me know here, or provide a positive Rating (3-5 stars or any smiling face, depending on the options you're given), as that is the only way I receive credit from the site for my assistance. Thank you so much, and I'll look forward to your reply with an update on Betty!

Warmest regards,

Cher