Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Evamarie: My 3 year old cat is unsteady and her head is

Customer Question

Customer: Evamarie: My 3 year old cat is unsteady and her head is jerking
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Her belly seems firm and she’s been eating all day.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

In order to help you better, I need to ask you a few questions about your kitty:

When you say she's unsteady, is she walking like she's drunk?

Is her head jerking forward or back or side to side,and is this happening all the time?

Are her pupils dilated and/or the same size, plus, are they reactive to changes in light?

Does she spend any time outside?

Is she eliminating as usual?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to go through it and then, compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I was hoping to get some additional information from you, but I don't want you to go without an answer, so I'll send my answer now, but if you need any further information, just click 'reply to expert.'

If your cat is walking in an unsteady way, almost like she's drunk, this could be a vestibular problem. The vestibular system controls balance and equilibrium and very often an ear infection or foreign object in the ear can cause her to feel dizzy and off balance. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

She could be jerking her head if one or both of her ears are bothering her, but these symptoms may also be related to various other causes, for example if she incurred a head trauma/injury, of which you were not aware. She might have a kitty concussion and should be checked over by a vet in person, as soon as possible.

The vet will be able to give you a diagnosis and treat her so she's feeling more comfortable. If her symptoms are 'idiopathic' (of no known cause), the vet will treat them, in any case and may run some neurological tests and routine blood work.

If she spends any time outside, she might have ingested a toxic substance which is causing her symptoms.

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be treated at home, because we don't know the source of her symptoms so that has to be determined.

I hope all will be well with your kitty and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, again.

I just wanted to make sure that you received my answer and find out how your kitty is doing today. I will resend my answer here, just in case you didn't receive it when it was sent, last night.

---------------------

Hello again,

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher