Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Can I use bacitracin zinc polymyxin sulfate kitty we found?

Customer Question

can I use bacitracin zinc polymyxin b sulfate for the kitty we found? seems to have a little drainage from the eye and puffy a little.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Linda and welcome!

Bless you for taking in this little 'Pig' you have found!

The ophthalmic ointment you describe, is used for bacterial infections in and around cats' eyes, but we are not permitted to tell you to use any prescription medications unless prescribed by a vet who has examined your kitty in person. Here is more information about the Bacitracin-Neomycin-Polymyxin B Ophthalmic Ointment:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9b2e8b17-dd16-46cf-b5dc-58635a81eaa9

If there is some drainage from the eye and it's puffy (swollen), this might indicate an eye infection; typically, the discharge would be greenish or yellowish if infection were present. However, if the drainage is clear, Pig may have a scratched cornea or other injury to the eye and should be evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, before it worsens. For the moment, if you choose to start him on the ointment until you can get him to a vet, it should help if any infection is present. It would be a good idea to have him seen, in any case, since you found him and need to know if he's in good health; he will need vaccinations if he's old enough, etc.

I hope all will be well with Pig!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hi again, Linda.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Pig is doing with his eye.

Did you use the ophthalmic antibiotic ointment?

Were you able to have him evaluated in person by a vet?

I hope things are improving and please update me, as I'm concerned for him.

Also, if you found my answer helpful, it would be greatly appreciated if you could please let me know and/or Rate positively (3-5 Stars or any smiling face, depending on which option you are shown in the ratings box), so I receive credit for my assistance. If you have any further questions, please just click 'Reply to Expert' and I'll be happy to continue our conversation--you can do this even after rating, at no additional charge. I'll always be here for you and your kitty!

I hope all is going well with your little Pig!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again, Linda.

I hadn't heard back from you and wanted to know how Pig's eye is doing. Were you able to get him seen, diagnosed and treated by a vet?

I had another thought, if you couldn't get him to a vet, yet: apply a cool, damp (wrung out) regular tea bag to his closed eye. The tannic acid will help draw out infection and reduce swelling. Do this 3 times a day for about 5 minutes each time, if he'll allow.

Please let me know how he's coming along, as I'm worried about him.

Thanks,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pig. How is everything going?
Cher