Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 16 yr. Old cat is struggling to poop. She tries real

Customer Question

My 16 yr. Old cat is struggling to poop. She tries real hard! She is eating. She lost her sister about 6 mos. Ago. Her sister had tumors in her colon and liver. I'm afraid to take her in because I think they will advise me to put her down.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

How long has this been going on?

Has she had any vomiting?

Is she eating dry food, wet food or a combination of both?

Hello. I see that you have gone offline so I wanted to give you some things to read over when you come back.

Some things you can try to help get her going are:I would choose one of the following

* 1 tablespoons of canned pumpkin daily
* Metamucil- 1/2 teaspoon in canned food twice daily
*Miralax This should be given at a dose of 1/4 of a teaspoon( again with canned food) once daily. This is also safe to use daily (1/8 of a teaspoon) to prevent constipation.
* Colace 1/2 of a 50mg tablet daily.

* As a last resort an infant suppository or infant laxative such as Pedilax can be used just be sure it contains glycerin only and no other active ingredients.

The Colace or the Mirlax are going to produce results faster then the Metamucil or the pumpkin and while I would not give them together they can be used long term to help prevent constipation.

I would also make sure she is getting more canned food then dry. Some dry is fine but the moisture from the canned food will help to further prevent constipation.

I am sorry for the loss of your other kitty I know how heart breaking it can be, but please do not let that make you afraid to get her medical care if she needs it.

I hope this helps give you some options to try and help her. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating as that is the only way I am compensated for assisting you.

Candy