Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We just took in a stray cat and notice that he has a black

Customer Question

We just took in a stray cat and notice that he has a black discharge from his mouth and eyes. When we took him he was near death. We took him to the vet and had some tests, an IV and antibiotics. He is on special cat food for cats.
He is doing better but still is very skinny. I am concerned about the black discharge from his mouth and eyes. What could it be?
Thanks Tessa
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so glad that you found this kitty and brought him into your home. Surely he would not still be alive if it weren't for you! How long have you had him now?

When cats are very ill and extremely debilitated it's not unusual for them to have some discharge from their eyes and saliva around their mouths. The bacteria in their skin and the air as well as dirt from the environment combine with the discharge and it can change to a red, brown, or black color. If your vet looked him over thoroughly and wasn't concerned about it, then it could be something that will resolve on its own once he's in better health. This is especially true with the eyes if they were so ill that their eyes became sunken inward - they tend to accumulate more discharge until they put some weight on. It could also be that he's got some dental disease - tartar and gingivitis - that are leading to more salivation than usual. If you and your vet think he's a senior kitty, then he could certainly have some dental issues that will need to be addressed once he's in better health. I would ask your vet if they felt that it was abnormal or something that he needs treatment for right now.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you - we can chat until I've covered them all.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about We Haven't Named Him Yet. He Is A Stray.. How is everything going?
Doc Sara