Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I need help with my cat please who has developed an ear

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I need help with my cat please who has developed an ear problem.She has been grumpy for the last few days and I have noticed last night she has troubles getting through the cat flap not wanting to push through with her head. Looking into her ears, both have quite a few black spots quite deep in her ear canal - no blood but her ear canal is covered in brownish, wax like material. No vet is open today so I wonder if there is anything I can do to help her right now? many thanks for your help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure - I have a picture though not sure how/if I can attach it here or send it over to you somehow?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: the black spots look very similar to the ones shown in here (albeit there aren't as many in my cat's ears as on the picture) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+ear+wax&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl_u_NuIjKAhUM6RQKHRmEBu8Q_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=995#imgrc=UQx02BLIoCeWOM%3A
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached here is a photo of one of her ears - she is clearly in some discomfort (although she is still eating/playing ok).
Is there anything I can give her now to relieve this or is it an emergency vet situation?
thanks
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Happy New year,

I am sorry your girl has this trouble.

Make a solution of a tablespoon of white vinegar and a tsp of warm water plus a few drops of olive or any cooking oil.

Use a cotton ball to swab the affected area 3 times a day.

Please let me know if this helps her feel better.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terri
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.
We have tried as suggested but so far, no change. Today we bought Johnson's vet ear drops so will try if those help. She is still uncomfortable scratching and shaking hear head a lot.
Any thoughts on what the black spots/blisters may be?
Many thanks
Katerina
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Katerina,

I am sorry Johnson is still uncomfortable.

Those spots could be fungal or bacterial.

Is it possible for you to have her vet take a look?