Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

This is ***** *****. I have a male cat who is 4 yrs old. He

Customer Question

Customer: Hi this is ***** *****. I have a male cat who is 4 yrs old . He was always fluffy and whir but I have been noticing he is licking his fur on his back to the point its getting very thin in spots . I feed him Iams cat food which hasn't changed . Any ideas? He does not appear to have fleas either …...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 3 dogs which have been here not new, the cat seems to walk around meowing like he wants something but not sure what it is...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: well maybe for a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

Hello.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you with this issue.

Can you tell me if your boy seems more hungry than in the past?

Does he only lick the one area and is it the only one area that is thinning?

Have you had any blood work done?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO HE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE EATING MORE THAN USUAL. HE IS LICKING MOSTLY THE UPPER LOWER BACK AND THERE ARE A COUPLE PLACES IT SEEMS TO BE THINNING. NO BLOODWORK.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DID YOU RECIEVE MY RESPONSE?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HELLO?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

With what you described there could be a couple of issues. A cat will cry when in pain or hungry. The licking of the area could indicate some pain in that area he is licking and also why he is crying. The other possibility is Cats will cry when hungry and this hunger and thinning of hair could come along with a Thyroid issue. What I would suggest is a quick trip into the Vet for a hands on exam and a some blood work to look at the thyroid to see if this could be some pain or thyroid problems going on. One other issue can be OCD in cats. Which is where they obscessively lick one area until the hair is gone in the area. For OCD there is a medication that can be given to control the licking. I think the next step is a hands on exam for proper diagnosis.

Joan