Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat can't pee but can now poo since we started to give m

Customer Question

My cat can't pee but can now poo since we started to give him a med so he can poo. Is this life threatening?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Edna and happy new year,

Are you saying you have a male cat that cannot urinate?

How old is he?

When did he pee last?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy new year too. My cat is a he and he is roughly 13 years old. don't know if he pee while trying to poo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cat is a he and he is roughly 13 years old. don't know if he pee while trying to poo
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Edna,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I am not too worried about your boy not being able to poop. BUT if he cannot pass urine, THAT IS a life threatening emergency.

Do you have any idea when he peed last?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been
three days since he last pee I think
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Edna,

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time a cat cant use his box he is either sick or in pain.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - I think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_blockage.html

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away

http://www.carecredit.com/ may finance his visit if money is an issue.

He may have a UTI that can be treated economically.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_tract_infection.html

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.

You can try immersing his lower half in warm water to see if it helps him pee but if he can't he MUST see a vet ASAP.

Please let me know what happens.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kindest regards,

Terri