Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Olivia, My cat, Aleeka, has had a multitude of issues her

Customer Question

Hi Dr Olivia,
My cat, Aleeka, has had a multitude of issues her entire life. She has an autoimmune difficiency and is on sustaining medicine now to keep her red blood cells up. She's on doxy, pred, cyclosporine, and glipizide for potential steroid induced diabetes.
Her current issue has to do with her nasal passages. She had surgery three weeks ago to remove a mass that was biopsied as a polyp. The vet said it had a strange texture and seemed to pull apart when they tried to remove it. They mentioned they could only get so much and there was still some left behind. Aleeka seemed to be okay for a few weeks, but the past couple days, she started to sound extremely clogged up again. She had surgery again today to try to remove more of the mass and get X-rays of her head. The vet said that the obstruction is in the back and she could only get a catheter up her nose about 3cm. She didn't have a way to reach the mass.
I should also mention that she had a mass on her ear removed that came back as fungal at the same time she had her first nasal biopsy (3 weeks ago). However, because the nose came as a polyp, they didn't think they were related. They are running the crypto blood test today to see if maybe they missed something.
I'm frustrated because other than the breathing issue, Aleeka is perfectly fine. Her red blood cell count was 34 and her glucose was in the 300s. I know Aleeka is a super complicated case. But do you have any thoughts as to how to remove the mass in her nose? She is extremely clogged and I'm worried how much longer we can wait before it closes everything up completely.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Aleeka. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It appears Dr. Olivia is not available. Would you prefer to wait for her or have me answer your question.

The best way to try to remove these kinds of growths in the nose of a cat is with a small flexible endoscope, which not all clinics have. You could ask to be referred to a hospital with specialists that might be able to do this. Under anesthesia, the scope is put in her mouth and then turned 180 degrees to come toward the nose from the back. These scopes can not only see the growth, but have small grasping attachments to remove them.

If her glucose is in the 300s, you might consider starting her on insulin and a diabetic diet to get her back down to normal.

Let me know if you would like to continue with me, if this was helpful, and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Aleeka doing? Can I answer any more of your questions?