PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My female cat is loosing hair around genitals and there is

Customer Question

My female cat is loosing hair around genitals and there is red blood in her stools but not a lot
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi Ann. I'm sorry to hear that Sukki is having issues. I need a little more information about your question.

1) Do you have a picture to share of what you're seeing?

2) Is Sukki spayed?

3) Is Sukki having normal stool or abnormal stool? Please describe.

4) Are you seeing blood all the time or intermittently?

5) What food are you feeding?

6) Is she an indoor only cat or indoor/outdoor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sukki is very skittish very difficult to get a picture she has been spayed. Normal stools.blood is intermittent.she goes in the garden very rarely
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Food I feed is purina

Hello again, Ann.

Without a picture it's going to be hard for me to tell you exactly what you're looking at but I can give you some things to research.

To start, hairloss around her genitals may be connected to the fact that she is having bloody stool. Some cats groom excessively when they have either urinary or stool issues. That would be my first concern. Secondly, you may also have some urinary issues compounding the blood in her stool which may not be obvious. Because blood in the stool can be a symptom of a major health concern, the best thing to do is to take her to a veterinary office for a physical exam and diagnostics. If you have a fresh stool sample available, even if you don't see blood in it at that time, bring it with you. A fecal analysis will help to rule out parasites (no cat is immune, even if they're strictly indoors but her going to the garden increases the risk). Your vet may also wish to perform a urinalysis for the reasons mentioned above. A diet change may be needed if underlying urinary problems are found. It's rather common for cats to acquire a urinary tract infection, in fact.

Until you're able to have her seen, you can try increasing the amount of fiber in the food by adding a tsp of canned pumpkin to her meals. If you are not already feeding canned purina, it would be worthwhile to do so just in case this does turn out to be a urinary concern as well. She can benefit from the added moisture in the canned food.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to rate my service. If questions remain, click reply and I will be more than happy to continue helping you.