Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a kitten who is 14 weeks and he is acting odd!one

Customer Question

I have a kitten who is 14 weeks and he is acting odd!one minute he is purring relaxing on my stomach and then out of the blue he jumps up in the air and then attacks me for no reason!he also scratches on the glass for no reason!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Hi Sheila,

I am so sorry you are having trouble with Muffin.It sounds like he wants to play with you as though you were another kitty.

This is NOT a mean or aggressive cat. He just becomes overstimulated.

The trick is to watch his body language and stop petting the instant you see his tail swish or his ears go back.

http://www.purina.com/cat/body-language/understandbodylanguage.aspx

I had a similar problem with one of mine.

I put a stop to it by teaching him he will NEVER get my attention if he uses his teeth or claws. He can only get petting when he approaches me calmly and quietly.

NEVER SPRAY WATER! That is a definite NONO!It just makes him angry and even more defensive.

If he tries to bite, immmediqtely turn your back and ignore him. If he is on your lap tap him on the top of the head, say NO! and put him right down on the floor.I used a pillow to gently push my cat back away from me.
YOU MUST BE CONSISTENT! If you do this every single time he will soon see biting will NOT be tolerated. BUT when he approaches calmly give an immediate food treat so he sees GOOD behavior gets rewarded.

He also needs exercise because he has a lot of energy. Use a feather wand or bird on a pole to to appeal to his hunting instincts.

Play with him 20 minutes 3 times a day to tire him you.

Please let me know how things go. I will always be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri