PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat has stopped eating in the last day. He seems to be

Customer Question

My cat has stopped eating in the last day. He seems to be drinking more water than usual. He's about 8 years old and an indoor cat. Behavior is not unusual otherwise and he doesn't seem to have any "tender spots" on his tummy or back. Seems to be pooping and peeing okay.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi Karla,

We don't become concerned about a cat not eating until they reach the third day, at which point there is an increased risk of hepatic lipidosis. During this time, it won't hurt to offer him different types of food such as an egg scrambled without any additives, slices of boiled chicken breast and so forth. If vomiting, diarrhea or other symptoms begin during this time, the concern for an underlying cause is increased and it's recommended for Milo to see a vet promptly.

At 8 years of age, this could be anything from an upset stomach or lack of interest in his food to dental issues, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. Without additional symptoms, I wouldn't worry just yet. Do spend time this evening and tomorrow enticing him to eat. If this does not happen, I would recommend pursuing diagnostic treatment at your vet's office or ER on Saturday to determine if there is something hindering his appetite. You certainly don't want to rush to the vet if it's not needed, but also don't want to wait too long where liver issues could set in.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to rate my service. If questions remain, please reply. I will be more than happy to help you further. Best of luck with Milo.