Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our cat is unable to weight bear on s right front foot.

Customer Question

Customer: Our cat is unable to weight bear on his right front foot. Eating okay, but not purring when pet. Lower leg and foot look swollen, no wounds. Our vet is closed until Monday. Is there anything we can give the cat for pain or to reduce swelling? He is about 16 months old.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is an inside/outside cat who adopted us about a year ago. He has been to the vet for immunizations a check-up. When we let him in the house today, he wasn't using his right foot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin (NOT ACETAMINOPHEN) is the only safe antiinflammatory analgesic available over the counter for cats. The dose is 10 mg/lb every 48 hours as need be. You must avoid ibuprofen and naproxen as well. If swelling persists through the holiday, please have him attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. It's very easy to miss the tiny puncture wounds caused by another cat's teeth. These wounds will often abscess if antibiotics aren't administered within 72 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.